Re: [std-proposals] Relocation in C++

From: Edward Catmur <ecatmur_at_[hidden]>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2022 13:03:04 +0100
On Mon, 26 Sept 2022 at 12:28, Sébastien Bini <sebastien.bini_at_[hidden]>
wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 26, 2022 at 12:31 PM Edward Catmur <ecatmur_at_[hidden]>
> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 26 Sept 2022 at 10:36, Sébastien Bini <sebastien.bini_at_[hidden]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> My bad, I meant no user-provided *relocation, move or copy*
>>> constructors.
>>>

>> Sure. I'd be a bit concerned that this is too restrictive, though it
>> shouldn't be a problem for tuple types as far as I can tell, but they might
>> want to user-provide special member functions for logging? This should be
>> called out, though.
>>

> I wouldn't know otherwise how to have the guarantee that all subobjects
> are independent from one-another. I also wonder whether we should impose no
> user-provided default constructor.

I think it's one or the other; if access is checked then the code accessing
the private/protected base/member is taking responsibility for maintaining
any relevant invariants. So long as access checking is bulletproof I don't
think we need to worry too much about a class breaking its own invariants;
the union hack would always be a possibility. I'd remove that requirement
(no special member functions) and say that if you break invariants by
decomposing into private bases and members that's your own responsibility.

But I still don't see the danger. We no longer care about the class

Yes, that's the best approach.