Re: [std-proposals] Versioned Standard

From: Henry Miller <hank_at_[hidden]>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2022 21:23:07 -0500
Communication of version isn't even worth thinking about until you solve the interoperability problem. That is I have two unrelated libraries, one using std::foov1 and one std::foov2. How do i, in a performant and not too ugly way move data between these two libraries.

So long as the above problem isn't solved I need to build everything against the same standard library and so a simple system wide flag is all we need. Or maybe some for of package config (currently there is no C++ package manager but many implementations have something. Cmake for example) my build system can throw an error if i'm mixing versiones.

I have some ideas for how to solve the problem, but they only work in specific circumstances and not general. Where they work I don't need any marker like you propose. Though i'm open to other solutions that do. However either way, start by. Proposing something that breaks ABI, then propose a work around to allow mixing old and new (where new is aware of old), and then only if a marker is needed do we add it.

--
  Henry Miller
  hank_at_[hidden]