Re: [std-proposals] Custom call convention per type

From: Avi Kivity <avi_at_[hidden]>
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2022 17:21:40 +0300
On 07/08/2022 23.03, Thiago Macieira via Std-Proposals wrote:
> On Sunday, 7 August 2022 12:05:06 PDT Avi Kivity via Std-Proposals wrote:
>> The fast-moving distributions (Fedora etc.) will just switch to the new
>> ABI and ask their users to recompile.
> No, they won't, unless it's imposed on them.

I believe Fedora will. They're quite happy to push the status quo. They
rebuild every package for every release anyway.

> You're welcome to propose it to the Itanium ABI discussion. I doubt you'll
> have success.

Here I have less experience but I don't doubt you're correct. Still,
annotating everything with an attribute will be a nightmare. And you
won't be able to do it for any old APIs, so the problem will drag on.