Re: [std-proposals] Versatility -- Classes change at runtime

From: Thiago Macieira <thiago_at_[hidden]>
Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2022 07:11:43 -0700
On Monday, 1 August 2022 04:16:15 PDT Frederick Virchanza Gotham via Std-
Proposals wrote:
> The C++ Standard already acknowledges the existence of a compiler and
> how it should behave (e.g. issue a diagnostic), and so it wouldn't be
> a big deal for the Standard to say that we can specify options to the
> compiler (since we're all doing that already anyway).

I think it would.

Unless you're aiming at getting negative chance of getting your proposal
through, I suggest you decouple compiler options from it. If you want to
pursue compiler options in the standard -- and I think that has a actually a
non-zero chance of getting through -- you should start with options that are
*already* commonly used to modify the C++ language, such as disabling
exceptions or RTTI.

Don't try to add a new language feature while adding the requirement for
compiler options.