Re: [std-proposals] Use of volatile as function argument should not be deprecated.

From: Ryan P. Nicholl <rnicholl_at_[hidden]>
Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2022 15:11:23 +0000
I am not sure if this logic is correct. volatile implies that the variable may be changed externally. I don't think there is any rule that says this only applies if the compiled code exports the address of the variable. An external change by the debugger is included in the scope of volatile. volatile implies that implementation details allow the variable to change in a way the compiler can't understand. Or at least it did before they started changing the wording. If they change it, I'll have to re-read it for the new e.g. C++23 version.

ThreadSanitizer helped me catch all the incorrect volatile uses in our code. I think that promoting tools like these is a better solution than disallowing volatile to be used as an interface to the debugger.

Atomics *don't work* here. The compiler could see that the atomic object cannot be accessed by anything else in the abstract machine because the address isn't exported. Then optimize it away. Only volatile, which tells the compiler that something *outside the C++ abstract machine* could modify the variable can satisfy this use case.

I can probably make a custom class which uses inline assembly in the worst case. But that would replace code that works with all gnu gcc/llvm clang/apple clang/microsoft msvc compilers in vs debugger, lldb, and gdb debuggers, and force compiler specific rewrites and architecture specific rewrites. Today the simple use of volatile works *everywhere*. *All* major compilers support this now and the standard shouldn't drop support for this unless a very good standardized alternative is introduced that doesn't require a bunch of #ifdef garbage.

A simple warning by a compiler when people use volatile is all that's needed. C++ is full of dangerous things like pointers. Please stop trying to slap training wheels on the C++ compiler when it interferes with legitimate uses.