Re: [std-proposals] Use of volatile as function argument should not be deprecated.

From: Ryan P. Nicholl <rnicholl_at_[hidden]>
Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2022 03:16:50 +0000
All compilers have debuggers, I don't see why we shouldn't be able to use e.g. "RelWithDebInfo" and then turn on a variable. I'm pretty sure the point of volatile is to eliminate the "as-if" rule for that particular variable, meaning a debugger should be allowed to change the value and the compiler respect that.

A register can sure be volatile if it tells the compiler not to optimize away accesses or uses of that register, since the program's execution could be stopped and then a debugger simply rewrite the variable.

I therefore see a perfectly legitimate way for a function parameter to be volatile? It certainly isn't useful to have stack volatiles for hardware programming but I have found the current implementation which allows it for communication between the debugger and the program to be quite useful. I'm not sure if the standard requires this behavior but I believe it does.

Another case is that if we did have a "volatile sig_atomic_t" as a function parameter then we can pass that address to a global variable and install a signal handler that uses it. There's no rule against taking the address of a function argument and the calling convention is pretty irrelevant for this purpose. I would suppose a volatile argument behaves the same way as const, irrelevant for the caller but relevant for the definition.

--
Ryan P. Nicholl
Tel: (678)-358-7765