Re: [std-proposals] Relocation in C++

From: Sébastien Bini <sebastien.bini_at_[hidden]>
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2022 10:39:38 +0200
Hi Edward,

Thank you for those clarifications.

I have a few other points to clarify though '^^

*About T(T) vs operator reloc(T&&):*

T(T src) is special in two ways:

   - It alleviates the destructor call on src;
   - Behind the scenes, T(T) only gets the address of the source object (as
   if by T(T&)), and not an actual copy as its signature would suggest.

Right?

In addition, in T(T src), src becomes an lvalue in that context, and as
such writing manually the default implementation becomes impossible:
struc T : B
{
  D _data;
  T(T src) : B{src}, _data{src._data} {} // /!\ Calls copy constructors /!\
};

Which means that we will have to rely on the same tricks as operator
reloc(T&&) (i.e. non-written initializers will be initialized by the reloc
ctor or synthesized relocation).

My point is that I don't see much benefit of T(T) over operator reloc(T&&).

   - Semantically speaking, I get your point that T(T) would be more
   correct, but it seems so counter-intuitive to use as it does not obey the
   same rules as any other function that takes a prvalue as parameter.
   - On the other hand operator reloc(T&&) doesn't lie on the fact that it
   takes an address, and its signature doesn't imply that its source parameter
   will be destructed. Instead, the very name of the operator suggests the
   opposite.

We can still have `reloc obj` to merely change the value category of `obj`
instead of returning the new instance, regardless of the signature we
choose for relocation (T(T), operator reloc(T&&) or even operator reloc(T)).

*About reloc operator changing the value category:*

Consider the following code:
void prsink(T);
void xsink(T&&);

T x, y;
prsink(reloc x); // here destructor call on x is avoided
xsink(reloc y); // destructor of y is called

Before, the reloc operator was in charge of making the decision of not
calling some destructor. This is no longer the case, as it now really
depends on how the prvalue is consumed. Am I right?

void sink(T);
void sink(T&&);

void foo(T val)
{
    sink(reloc val);
}

What happens now if T has opted-out of the ABI break with the
non-standardized attribute? Before the reloc operator was in charge of
building the new instance and could fallback to the move constructor. Now
this is no longer the case as it depends on how the prvalue is consumed.
Isn't it problematic as now the language needs to distinguish between
prvalues whose destructor calls can be alleviated and the others? Which
overload of sink is picked in that case?

Best regards,
Sébastien