Re: [std-proposals] Relax condition for potentially invoked destructor in constructor

From: Jody Hagins <coachhagins_at_[hidden]>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2022 17:09:16 -0500
It is possible that I misunderstand your email, but unless that is the case, I think your following statement is incorrect.

> But data members of an object, as the proposal points to in its example, can be constructed in different order, at best you will have a compiler warning telling you that you initialized some data member before the other.

11.4.19 addresses layout of data members...

 • [Note: Non-static data members of a (non-union) class with the same access control (11.9) and non-zero size (6.7.2) are allocated so that later members have higher addresses within a class object. The order of allocation of non-static data members with different access control is unspecified. Implementation alignment requirements might cause two adjacent members not to be allocated immediately after each other; so might requirements for space for managing virtual functions (11.7.2) and virtual base classes (11.7.1). —end note]

11.10.2.13 addresses initialization order.

 • In a non-delegating constructor, initialization proceeds in the following order:
 • First, and only for the constructor of the most derived class (6.7.2), virtual base classes are initialized in the order they appear on a depth-first left-to-right traversal of the directed acyclic graph of base classes, where “left-to-right” is the order of appearance of the base classes in the derived class base-specifier-list.

 • — Then, direct base classes are initialized in declaration order as they appear in the base-specifier-list (regardless of the order of the mem-initializers).

— Then, non-static data members are initialized in the order they were declared in the class definition (again regardless of the order of the mem-initializers).

— Finally, the compound-statement of the constructor body is executed.