Re: [std-proposals] Relocation in C++

From: Gašper Ažman <gasper.azman_at_[hidden]>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2022 11:31:24 +0000
On Tue, Feb 1, 2022 at 11:00 AM Sébastien Bini <sebastien.bini_at_[hidden]>
wrote:

> Hello Gašper,
>
> Thank you for the first reply!
>
> I had a read of some of these proposals, but I was not entirely satisfied.
> It's true my paper is lacking a comparison section, I'll add it when time
> permits :)

If you want to be taken seriously, you need to show you understand the
historical context and aren't rehashing things that have already been said
many times. Focus the discussion around the problematic cases.

> About the maybe_destroy:
> This is an annoying pattern, I admit. However, I believe it's tackled
> properly in the proposal:
> - Relocation should only happen with the "reloc" keyword. This is the only
> safe way to do relocation (at least in the proposal :p).
> - The reloc keyword can only relocate plain values. If a reference is
> passed to reloc, it yields a compilation error, especially for this reason.

- One of the goals of the reloc keyword is to prevent the call to the
> destructor.
> - People are heavily discouraged from calling the relocation constructor
> directly, especially because it does not prevent object destruction by
> regular means. Exactly like how people are discouraged from calling the
> destructor of an object explicitly, unless they know what they are doing.
> This determent is emphasized by the use of const_cast that is required to
> cast a regular reference to a relocation reference. const_cast was chosen
> because of the sense of caution it conveys.
> - The relocation constructor can still be called directly (given it has
> public visibility) to handle complex memory management cases for
> programmers that know what they are doing (for instance, std::vector
> implementation?). This is similar to destructors today: although they
> appear in class definition, they must not be called explicitly unless you
> know what you are doing.
>
> The use of reloc makes your code snippet safe:
> bool maybe_destroy(T x) {
> if (rand() % 2) { reloc x; return true; }
> return false;
> }
> We had to remove the reference otherwise the reloc call will yield a
> compilation error.
>
> If users still want to stick with calling the relocation construction
> explicitly (which is not how relocation is done in this proposal, again
> relocation should only happen with the reloc operator), then
> bool maybe_destroy(T& x) {
> if (rand() % 2) { T{const_cast<T~>(x)}; return true; }
> return false;
> }
> will indeed lead to the object being destructed twice (i.e. the second
> time when it reaches its end of scope at the call site). However, given C++
> philosophy "*protect against Murphy*, *not Machiavelli*", this is a code
> written knowing it would lead to disaster, which is very similar to:
> bool maybe_destroy(T& x) {
> if (rand() % 2) { x.~T(); return true; }
> return false;
> }
> which is permitted today (both snippets conditionally call a destructor on
> the object).
>
> I believe this answers your question, as the proposal provides a safe way
> to do relocation via the reloc keyword. The maybe_destroy pattern will not
> be encouraged by the proposal. The proposal introduces no vulnerability
> that is not already there in the language. Programmers can still screw
> things up but that is always the case in C++.

Thank you, you have indeed answered my question.

I like this idea of reloc effectively lifting an automatic variable into a
temporary. The tie with the current typesystem is neater than some other
proposals.

I'd very much like to see sections on the comparisons with the various
papers that came in the past. It'll both show you're aware of all the
historical context as an author, and save the readers the trouble of having
to think through all of it when reviewing.

I'd also very much encourage you to reach out to Arthur O'Dwyer and Howard
Hinnant and see if you can get their feedback.