Re: Slim mutexes and locks based on C++20 std::atomic::wait

From: Jason McKesson <jmckesson_at_[hidden]>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2021 12:25:53 -0400
On Sat, Aug 28, 2021 at 10:51 AM Marko Mäkelä via Std-Proposals
<std-proposals_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Tue, Aug 24, 2021 at 09:32:17AM -0700, Thiago Macieira via Std-Proposals wrote:
> >On Tuesday, 24 August 2021 00:01:53 PDT Marko Mäkelä via Std-Proposals wrote:
> >> Good points. I thought that having this in the standard library would
> >> create more pressure to operating system developers to provide some
> >> futex-like functionality.
> >
> >Linux, Windows and Darwin have it, though for Darwin it doesn't appear to be
> >documented. Your code has shown OpenBSD does too, something I didn't know.
> >FreeBSD definitely has it for its Linux-compatibility layer, but I don't know
> >if that has been exposed to the FreeBSD native ABI (just as eventfd hasn't).
>
> Yes, FreeBSD should have it. Solaris might have it too; at one point it
> implemented a Linux emulation mode.
>
> >I don't think the standard library can force that much. We'd end up
> >with the opposite: the futex functionality is emulated by way of locks.
>
> That is already the status quo with C++20 std::atomic<T>::wait() and
> std::atomic<T>::notify_one().
>
> >An example is Linux itself: Linus is quite against extending the futex
> >functionality to 64-bit values, so std::atomic<int64_t>::wait will
> >likely remain emulated on Linux for a long time.
>
> My proposal is only implementing alternatives to std::mutex and
> std::shared_mutex with a known memory footprint and an additional
> atomic_shared_mutex::lock_update() mode that is like lock() but allows
> concurrent lock_shared().
>
> I just updated https://github.com/dr-m/atomic_sync to align the naming
> with std::shared_mutex. I think that my atomic_recursive_shared_mutex is
> too specific and complex to be included in the standard. It can serve as
> an example of implementing recursion using atomic_shared_mutex.
>
> >If this was your reason, please re-evaluate.
>
> The C++ standard library has been extended to include things that make
> programs more portable. Less reinventing of the wheel, avoid the need to
> write operating system specific code.
>
> I think that the ability to "embed" a lock inside a concurrent data
> structure is a very compelling reason to have std::atomic based
> alternatives to std::mutex and std::shared_mutex. For example, if the
> cache line size is 64 bytes, one 4-byte atomic_mutex can protect 15
> other 4-byte elements located in the same cache line. As a byproduct of
> acquiring the mutex, you will already have loaded the data to the L1
> cache. (Not necessarily all data, but the "head" of the protected data
> structure.)
>
> Analogy: ISO 262 defines a standard set of bolts. ISO 5211 extends that
> by defining bolt circle diameters (for mounting valves). Interoperable
> components with standardized sizes makes life easier.

C++ as a standard assiduously *avoids* defining the size of anything.
A byte is defined as being of size 1, but even that doesn't require
that it be precisely 8 bits.

The cstdint header does define some sized constructs, but the ones
with specific sizes are also not *required* to be provided by any
particular implementation.