Re: SCC / ISO IEC - C++ Superset

From: Phil Bouchard <boost_at_[hidden]>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2021 18:27:34 -0400
On 8/4/21 5:03 PM, Emile Cormier wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 4, 2021 at 2:15 PM Phil Bouchard <boost_at_[hidden]
> <mailto:boost_at_[hidden]>> wrote:
>
> BTW thank God software can now be patented. Here's my anecdote:
>
> - I was working for Corel Linux back in 2000 until Microsoft
> dissolved it;
>
> - I wrote my own Fornux Powercalc and proposed it to Microsoft but
> got silently embraced and extended my Microsoft Powertoys:
>
> https://github.com/philippeb8/fcalc
> <https://github.com/philippeb8/fcalc>
>
> https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/6f/Powercalc.PNG
> <https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/6f/Powercalc.PNG>
>
> - Herb Sutter from Microsoft almost embraced and extended the
> logic of Root Pointer:
>
> https://github.com/hsutter/gcpp <https://github.com/hsutter/gcpp>
>

> So sorry for the patent implications but this is the only way to
> protect ourselves these days.
>

> I fear software patent trolls more than I do corporations extending
> standards in order to lock-in their customers. At least with the
> latter, I can still choose to adopt the original standard (e.g. POSIX
> vs Win32 API). I fear software patents will end up creating a
> minefield where only big corporations with an army of lawyers can play.

My goal is to contribute and to give back. Nothing stops me from
contacting Intel or other commercial compiler vendors directly.

> It's ironic that you complain about Microsoft embracing and extending
> standards for their own profit, while you propose to do the same thing
> by embracing C++ and extending it with the apparent motive of earning
> profit off of your (pending) patent.

So if you want to judge people I suggest you measure them based on their
merit.

Let's recapitulate on Microsoft, a for profit company:

- Visual Basic: embraced and extended already existing BASIC;

- Windows 3.1: embraced and extended Macintosh;

- Microsoft Word: embraced and extended Wordperfect;

- Microsoft Excel: embraced and extended Lotus 1-2-3;

- Internet Explorer: embraced and extended Netscape;

- DirectX: embraced and extended OpenGL;

- Microsoft Teams: embraced and extended Zoom;

- ...

I don't see any true innovation from their end.

Versus Fornux Inc., ultimately an R&D company that will focus on
artificial intelligence with a separate sales company owned in majority
_not by me_:

- Worked on the innovative Root Pointer for more than 10 years;

- Debated a brand new gravitational theory ready to be tested on the ISS;

- Great innovative artificial intelligence advancements.

So the profits will be redirected mainly into artificial intelligence
R&D. So I'm not planning to retire anytime soon.

> There are plenty of patented encryption algorithms that have
> languished in obscurity, where they otherwise might have benefited
> society had the author decided not to patent it.

Again, just the framework I want to share allows you to add free
Python-style memory management easily, runtime stack traces and so on.
It offers Open Source alternatives.

Finally, all the money invested by big corps on rewriting everything in
Rust will be all wasted after I proved everything can simply be
recompiled using C++ Superset.

--
*Phil Bouchard*
Founder & CTO