Re: How about a committee library as well as a standard library? (was Fwd: Distributed random number ordering)

From: Ville Voutilainen <ville.voutilainen_at_[hidden]>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2021 17:08:46 +0300
On Fri, 14 May 2021 at 16:53, Guy Cpp <guy.cpp.wg21_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> Then the next things: there's been all sorts of lofty suggestions to
>> have a catalog of curated C++ libraries that are installable
>> everywhere,
>> via whatever packaging system. I think that's missing a fundamental
>> goal, and shooting for the moon, thus failing to materialize
>> into anything. What I think we'd need _first_ is a catalog of C++
>> libraries so that I can *find* a library. I can then figure out
>> how to integrate it into my projects. Uniform packaging and quality
>> curation is a nice bonus, but unless I have that fundamental
>> first starting point, chances are that we're going to wait forever for
>> that magical curated uniformly packaged repository to appear.
>>
> Perhaps we need to start with header-only libraries of class and function templates? Would that limit the packaging problem until we have a solution?

That's the thing - I would kindly suggest starting without any initial
restrictions. If it's a header-only library, fine.
If it's a library that requires linking, fine. If it's a library
that's integrated to every popular and obscure package
management system and has well-maintained packages for all of them,
fine. If it's a library that ships only
in an obscure package format, fine. If it's a legacy library with
barely any C++ API or with a seriously C++98
API, fine. Just get the catalog up, so that we can find (and likely
'star', or upvote/downvote) the libraries.

>> But going back to the first things, this sort of endeavor would need
>> volunteers willing to do the work. I don't know where
>> to find such volunteers.
>>
> Well, if this idea gains support, I can work on that. I just need to get an idea of scope.

Give me a starting point similar to CPAN, PyPI, crates.io. The One
Place on the Internets where I go
when I need to find a C++ library.