Re: How about a committee library as well as a standard library? (was Fwd: Distributed random number ordering)

From: Ville Voutilainen <ville.voutilainen_at_[hidden]>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2021 14:16:16 +0300
On Fri, 14 May 2021 at 14:01, Guy Cpp via Std-Proposals
<std-proposals_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Not everything needs to go in the standard library. Discovery is a problem though. Why doesn't the committee host a library of useful things?
>
> Please offer your objections or support below.

Some ruminations, first things first: the committee doesn't have a
budget or people on its payroll. It consists of volunteers who
have day jobs, in addition to which they work on standardization.

Then the next things: there's been all sorts of lofty suggestions to
have a catalog of curated C++ libraries that are installable
everywhere,
via whatever packaging system. I think that's missing a fundamental
goal, and shooting for the moon, thus failing to materialize
into anything. What I think we'd need _first_ is a catalog of C++
libraries so that I can *find* a library. I can then figure out
how to integrate it into my projects. Uniform packaging and quality
curation is a nice bonus, but unless I have that fundamental
first starting point, chances are that we're going to wait forever for
that magical curated uniformly packaged repository to appear.

But going back to the first things, this sort of endeavor would need
volunteers willing to do the work. I don't know where
to find such volunteers.