Re: Distributed random number ordering

From: Lénárd Szolnoki <cpp_at_[hidden]>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2021 19:26:47 +0100
Hi,

That implementation consumes one or more generator calls per returned uniformly distributed integer. In this sense it's wasteful for low n, as a single generator call could be used for multiple independent uniform ints.

There is also an optimization opportunity for using up the 'partial bits' you throw away in the while loop.

But there is no one good solution. For a cheap underlying generator these efforts are somewhat wasted and might even degrade performance, but for an expensive one it's probably worth it.

Cheers,
Lénárd