Re: Distributed random number ordering

From: Jason McKesson <jmckesson_at_[hidden]>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2021 21:19:33 -0400
On Wed, May 12, 2021 at 8:54 PM Thiago Macieira via Std-Proposals
<std-proposals_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On Wednesday, 12 May 2021 15:14:29 PDT Arthur O'Dwyer via Std-Proposals wrote:
> > Even better: Get the source code of `stable_uniform_int_distribution` from
> > a third-party GitHub repository, where if you ever do discover that the
> > behavior differs across platforms, you can just file a bug and it's clearly
> > on them to fix it. If you rely on the Standard Library for this stuff, then
> > you have nowhere (or rather, five or six places) to file bug reports when
> > it doesn't work.
> >
> > I see many reasons this should be on GitHub, and no reason this should be
> > in the Standard Library.
>
> Agreed. If you want a specific implementation even if not optimal, then you
> don't really want the standard library.
>
> I don't understand why the algorithm for std::seed_seq is specified. Not that
> std::seed_seq is actually useful (see proposal about seeding engines).

I think the reason for `seed_seq` being specified is that you're
theoretically *supposed* to use it to seed your RNGs. So if it's not
well-specified, then all the work nailing down the RNGs to specific
algorithms is pointless.

But since it's not useful, and nobody seeds their RNGs with it, that
kind of went to waste.