Re: Distributed random number ordering

From: Jason McKesson <jmckesson_at_[hidden]>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2021 17:50:05 -0400
On Wed, May 12, 2021 at 4:30 PM Lénárd Szolnoki via Std-Proposals
<std-proposals_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On the flip side mandating the algorithms also closes off further optimization opportunities from implementations. Also I wouldn't say that there are obvious algorithms to standardize even for discrete distributions.
>
> What comes to mind is adding an optional template parameter for distributions specifying a specific algorithm while having an implementation defined default.

No, no "optional template parameters". I don't want to have to write
`uniform_int_distribution<int, std::stable_distribution>`. I want to
write `stable_uniform_int_distribution`, without having to specify the
default type. And I imagine that implementation-wise, it's easier to
just make a new type than to make a specialization, though this
distinction is a bit trivial.