Re: std::as

From: Christof Franke <cfranke_at_[hidden]>
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2020 17:47:31 +0100
IMHO there is no need for any change to std::variant.

If you use std::get after a check with std::holds_alternative, the compiler will most probably optimize the second check away. Like in

void printValue(std::variant<int, double> value) {

    if (std::holds_alternative<int>(value)) {

        std::cout << std::get<int>(value)

    } else if (std::holds_alternative<double>(value) {

       std::cout << std::get<double>(value);

    }

}

I have tested GCC, clang, and MSVC. They all remove any double-checks and exception code during optimization.

In case you want to call a function with a std::variant as parameter of which the alternative held by the variant is known, why do you pass the variant instead of the value held?

Regards

Christof