Re: Feedback on implementing proposed std::error type

From: Dmitry <dimanne_at_[hidden]>
Date: Sat, 16 May 2020 08:35:07 +0100
That is a very interesting topic, actually.
I might be totally wrong, but to me it is impossible to make an (1)
actionable/useful for all, (2) extensible and (3) fast/simple mechanism for
enumerating errors.
Correct me if I am wrong, but it looks like the current approach just

   - hardcodes a couple of errors/domains, which makes it not extensible (I
   cannot add my own, specific and useful to my application errors and/or
   domains)
   - and makes them as generic as possible, which makes them too vague and
   obscure to be actionable (for example, invalid_argument - what am I
   supposed to do when receive this? Randomly change all arguments of a
   function to something else in the hope it helps? What is the point of
   having this error at all?).

On Thu, May 14, 2020 at 1:20 AM Charles Salvia via Std-Proposals <
std-proposals_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Thanks again for your help. Here's the re-formatted version:
>
> http://charles-salvia.github.io/D2170R0.html
>
> On Wed, May 13, 2020 at 4:21 AM Gašper Ažman <gasper.azman_at_[hidden]>
> wrote:
>
>> D2170R0 is yours :)
>>
>> The next mailing is May 15th at 2pm UTC, so make sure you hit that. Sorry
>> for the rush.
>>
>> Gašper
>>
>> On Wed, May 13, 2020 at 9:09 AM Gašper Ažman <gasper.azman_at_[hidden]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Look at mpark/wg21 on GitHub.
>>>
>>> It's not the only way to format documents, but it helps. A paper has a
>>> particular structure you should follow, but since yours is not a proposal,
>>> you can skip the proposed wording.
>>>
>>> Once your paper is "in shape" I'll upload it to the tracker. I'll get
>>> you a paper number later today.

Dmitry
*Sent from gmail*