Re: async coroutines vs. lambdas

From: Ville Voutilainen <ville.voutilainen_at_[hidden]>
Date: Thu, 14 May 2020 19:11:38 +0300
On Thu, 14 May 2020 at 19:01, Avi Kivity via Std-Proposals
<std-proposals_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Of course a.then(b) can be folded together into a single coroutine
> (faster and simpler). But I have many other primitives.
> smp::submit_to(func) runs a function on another core.
> parallel_for_each(container, func) will run func in parallel for each
> element (just on this core). Some primitives internally use .then() to
> chain calls, so I can't do the merging.
>

> Working with lambdas was a minefield of use-after-frees, I was hoping
> coroutines would free me of that, but it turns out to be just another
> minefield.

Righty right. future::then is not such a minefield because the payload
is in the shared state of the future,
and it's just moved/shared to what the .then handler will receive, so
nothing can dangle there.

With coroutines, you need to be a tad more careful. You said you don't
want more allocations, but, well,
to avoid dangling, you necessarily need to allocate the things that
would otherwise dangle.