Re: std::span

From: Barry Revzin <barry.revzin_at_[hidden]>
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2020 15:17:13 -0500
On Sun, Apr 19, 2020 at 3:04 PM Nevin Liber via Std-Proposals <
std-proposals_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 19, 2020 at 11:00 AM Ville Voutilainen via Std-Proposals <
> std-proposals_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
>> > Ergo we didn't think at() was worth the effort.
>>
>> Well, we also thought it's bad because it goes against our (new)
>> dogma, so it was tossed out of the window, thus
>> creating an API that is inconsistent.
>>

> During the span discussions, one of the arguments presented was because
> span is not a container, it doesn't have to be consistent with containers.
> For me, things like consistency, interoperability and as close to a drop-in
> replacement as possible are very important and not dismissed lightly.
>
> There were at least three inconsistencies span has compared with
> containers that didn't have to be there:
>
> - signed size() (and the related index_type instead of size_type)
> - lack of comparison operators
> - at()
>
> A number of us fought what we considered the most egregious of these,
> signed size(), but that took a lot of time and energy to do so.

It's actually somewhat worse than this. span used to have comparison
operators, and then people fought to remove them.

At least span simply never had at() to begin with. P1024R0 proposed adding
it (along with a bunch of other members), but that part of the proposal was
rejected in Rapperswil.

Barry