Re: std::span

From: JeanHeyd Meneide <phdofthehouse_at_[hidden]>
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2020 14:43:39 -0400
Dear Mario,

     I think you're right here: the consistency of the API should have been
considered. From my perspective very few people used .at(), but that was
just my own lack of experience showing, rather than a universal truth.

     I think .at() would be a good addition, now that I spend more time
thinking about it. When I first implemented <span> for libstdc++ I noticed
that it lacked `size_type` and other small things for consistency reasons.
These were fixed by Nevin Liber in his paper; we also didn't have
operator== nor did we have at(). The more I think about it, the more we
should have included it.

     For all the reasons discussed in this thread, we absolutely would have
been able to mitigate the compile-time cost. That would require linking
against a library rather than being header-only or using very specific
internals, which some libraries are already doing. Alas, in fixing <span> I
did not propose any further changes. I'm sorry; this might be something
worth fixing for C++23, but with operator== out the window as well I think
we've long since sailed the ship of "consistent, easy-to-use API".

     The free function will probably be your best bet. I'm sorry for the
pain we cause you down the line.

Best Wishes,
JeanHeyd