Re: Make non-specialized numeric_limits<T> use ill-formed

From: Michael Hava <mfh_at_[hidden]>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2020 13:16:16 +0000
Thanks! I wasn’t aware of P0437.

From: John McFarlane <john_at_[hidden]>
Sent: Tuesday, April 14, 2020 11:54 AM
To: std-proposals_at_[hidden]
Cc: Michael Hava <mfh_at_[hidden]>
Subject: Re: [std-proposals] Make non-specialized numeric_limits<T> use ill-formed

On Mon, 13 Apr 2020 at 15:33, Michael Hava via Std-Proposals <std-proposals_at_[hidden]<mailto:std-proposals_at_[hidden]>> wrote:
IMHO: The definition of numeric_limits is rather unfortunate (is_specialized, min vs lowest, countless members that have no meaning for certain types, …), but I seriously doubt that we can/should try to change it after 20+ years…

If anything can be done in this area, it should most probably be a new facility for these limits that follows a more modern (read: non-monolithic) design.

See P0437R1<http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2018/p0437r1.pdf> and P1370R1<http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2019/p1370r1.html> for work in this direction.

Note: type_traits already exposes some of the functionality of numeric_limits (is_signed, is_integral, …).

Best regards,
Michael

Food for thought: maybe a new limits-system should include support for “custom arithmetic types” (e.g. complex,…)

It should although numeric_limits does allow custom specialization.

Cheers,
John