Re: Fixing C-style arrays

From: Ryan Nicholl <rnicholl_at_[hidden]>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2020 23:27:56 +0000
Nobody is going to take you seriously if you suggest deprecating core functionality used by millions of lines of code. This is not another "hipster" language. We don't break backwards compatibility without a compelling reason. C++ has many years of tradition of "tacking on" additional features while leaving the bad alone. Only for compelling reasons are features removed. And removing a core language feature is far more disruptive than merely removing a library function.

C style arrays are far too common to be removed. Your idea is far too radical for a conservative language like C++ where backwards compatibility is prized. There are actual code bases using C++, unlike <insert new hipster language here>, so we can't just break things for no reason.

Not all software gets abandoned after 6 months. The code I deal with at work has parts that were written in 1992. C++ has to remain aware of reality.