Subject: Re: [std-proposals] Modern std::byte stream IO for C++
From: Maciej Cencora (m.cencora_at_[hidden])
Date: 2020-03-06 05:41:04

Even if compilers will optimize the code out, all users will have the pay
the cost of slower compilation (because compiler still needs to instantiate
the serialization code for big/little endian).
Basically with current design this is an early pessimization.

You should focus on providing low-level primitives first.
Maybe something like Codec concept that allows serializing primitive types
(instead of enum format member in context concept), and provide two
implementations BigEndianCodec, LittleEndianCodec - and allow users to
provide custom ones.
With your current design I see no easy way to provide custom serialization
codec (e.g. Type-Length-Value).

pt., 6 mar 2020 o 12:04 Lyberta via Std-Proposals <

STD-PROPOSALS list run by herb.sutter at gmail.com