Re: Proposal - Allow '.' operator to work on pointers (again sortof)

From: Jake Arkinstall <jake.arkinstall_at_[hidden]>
Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2020 09:17:25 +0000
What you clearly see as a flaw in the language, I see as fundamental to it
- a pointer is a pointer and a reference is a reference, and dereferencing
either through *ptr or ptr-> is the transition.

Adding a unification rule that has edge cases in the case of conflict is
generally worse, IMO, than not adding the rule at all. It means you
suddenly have to start being aware of the underlying type wrapping the
pointer (in the case of smart pointers and iterators, for example), and
that can get messy during refactoring and be a nuisance in template code.

And to achieve what? That's the biggest question, and I certainly can't
think of a good reason to do all that just to save one character.