Re: Allow "default" keyword for default arguments

From: Edward Diener <eldlistmailingz_at_[hidden]>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2020 15:05:42 -0500
On 2/5/2020 6:45 AM, Henry Miller via Std-Proposals wrote:

> There is a persistent request for named parameters that comes up every few months in some form here. none have gone anywhere, but if any do in some future revision, it should cover this as a trivial extension. I don't think we want two different syntaxes for the same thing and it seems to me that naming the non default parameters makes more sense than saying some paramater is some default value.
>
> That is I think before you go too far you should consider how alternatives would look in real code.

Being a Boost C++ developer I am fully aware of the Boost Parameter
library, and how it is used, as a named parameter library.

I do not agree with your argument that because the future may hold some
other theoretical solution to this problem, the simple use of 'default'
for default arguments should not be considered now.

I still have no idea why Daniel Gutson's proposal was rejected, as it
seems it would have been trivial to implement and would have greatly
eased the use of default arguments from the end-user's side of things.
But then again the reason why the C++ standard committee accepts or
rejects anything proposed for C++ seems shrouded in mystery to me,
although perhaps those reasons are published somewhere on-line and I
just do not know where to look for them.

My own experience is that a highly flexible software library often
entails the extensive use of default template and function arguments.
This is a problem from the end-user's point of view in that overriding
some default argument often entails in repeating the default values of
some prior default arguments. It would be so much nicer for the end-user
to just specify the 'default' keyword when doing this than having to
look up and specify the actual default value. It would also signal to
anyone trying to understand such code that the end-user is just trying
to override a particular default while ignoring other defaults.