Subject: Re: [std-proposals] dofor loop
From: Menashe Rosemberg (rosemberg_at_[hidden])
Date: 2019-12-27 07:32:36

Of course the compilers make a great job to optimize it. The point is more semantic because the for is a while with a expected counter (and the compilers do some optimization focusing on it), but do..while doesn't have its 'dofor'. We can get a better semantic and a specific optimization as for loop has.

 On 2019-12-27 at 12:31, Михаил Найденов via Std-Proposals wrote:
> Note that raw loops are out of fashion right now. Also, there are
> arguably too many iteration statements already, considering all can be
> expressed with one or two of the existing ones.
> Can you give some compelling examples.
>
> On Fri, Dec 27, 2019 at 1:04 PM Menashe Rosemberg via Std-Proposals
> <std-proposals_at_[hidden] <mailto:std-proposals_at_[hidden]>>
> wrote:
>
>    Hi,
>
>    The loops we have in c++ are loop while, for and do...while. How
>    they work is pretty know, but I will describe them shortly (in their
>    general use) to better demonstrate my proposal.
>
>    1. while:
>    step1: Evaluate condition. Continue to step2 if the condition is true
>    step2: Execute statements
>    step3:  return to step1
>
>    2. do:
>    step1: Execute statements
>    step2: Evaluate condition. Return to srep1 if the condition is true
>
>    3 for:
>    step1: create a counter
>    step2: Evaluate condition. Continue to step3 if the condition is true
>    step3: Execute statements
>    step4: Execute an mathematics operation (with the counter) and
>    return to step2
>
>    What I see is we have a lack of one more that may help to make the
>    c++ language more robust and elegant and that is a union of loop do
>    and for to form a 'dofor' loop. It may have the same syntax of for
>    loop but the condition is evaluated in the end not in the start of
>    loop as do loop does.
>
>    dofor loop:
>    step1: create a counter
>    step2: execute statements
>    step3: Execute a mathematics operation (with the counter)
>    step4: return to step2 if condition is true
>
>    The syntax could be similar to for like that:
>
>    dofor ( <variable declaration>; <mathematics operation>; <condition>) {
>    statements...
>    }
>
>    Also the step3 and step4 may be inlined on the assemble level and
>    make this loop very efficient.

Compilers know existing loop forms well enough that efficiency is a very
weak argument. They already optimize pretty well.  :-)

For example, it is not uncommon to see the while-loop rewritten as

      while:
      step0: goto step2
      step1: Execute statements
      step2: Evaluate condition. Return to step1 if the condition is true

which makes it very similar to the do-while.

It looks to me that the programmer could very often transform a dofor
into a regular for by just adding a +1 or -1 to the initial value of the
loop variable. I wouldn't be surprised at all if a compiler sees that
and transforms the two versions into the same assembly code.

So, doubtful if a language change (rather expensive!) would bring us
anything but a very minimal gain. So perhaps not worth it?

    Bo Persson