Re: Allow maybe_unused for lambda captures?

From: Arthur O'Dwyer <arthur.j.odwyer_at_[hidden]>
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2019 18:35:40 -0500
On Sun, Dec 15, 2019 at 1:51 PM Markus Dreseler via Std-Proposals <
std-proposals_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Got it, thank you for the link to the clang bug.
>
> > [[maybe_unused]] should be used when the use is either completely
> absent, or effectively absent because it's used inside a macro that
> might be conditionally defined otherwise, or inside an #ifdef block that
> was compiled out, or inside an #include file whose contents are
> platform-dependent.
>
> If I understand you correctly, this would apply to the following
> example. Could you please give your thoughts on this one:
>
> #include <cassert>
> void foo(int a) {
> [&a](){
> assert(a == 3);
> }();
> // actually do something with a
> }
>
> https://godbolt.org/z/udHag8

Ah, yes, that would be a place where [[maybe_unused]] might apply.
However, for now, you can easily write

    (void)a;

to suppress the warning: https://godbolt.org/z/7ZHSYz
That's less cluttering to the code (thus easier to read and maintain), and
also works in existing compilers (thus easier to deploy).

"Yeah, but using this logic, isn't [[maybe_unused]] *completely* redundant
and unnecessary and should never have been standardized?"
AFAIK, yes.

–Arthur