Re: enum class value name string via something similar to typeid().name() ?

From: Sebastian Büttner <sebastian.buettner_at_[hidden]>
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2019 00:50:26 +0000
The second one I belief would work but it will give you the name of the
variable, so "value" instead the one of the corresponding enumerator.

Unfortunately it is not easily possible to provide a universal solution for
enumerator_name_by_value(value) because any value that fits into the underlying
type of an enum type can be converted to that enum. Thus this is valid:

enum Color {
  red /* = 0 */,
  green /* = 1 */,
  blue /* = 2 */
};

Color col = 3;
std::string enum_str = enumerator_name_by_value(col);

This is valid code (correct me if I am wrong please). As of http://eel.is/c+
+draft/dcl.init#list-3.8 direct-list-initialization is performed not checking
whether the value we actually assign has an corresponding enumerator or not.

What should enumerator_name_by_value() return? An empty string? Some
placeholder like name like "Undefined"? I think this is application dependend
and thus cannot be done in the language it self. A viable library solution to
this problem is the one you saw in the Reflection paper.

At least for now I cannot (sadly) think of a universal solution to this
problem that is nicer to spell than the existing example... However as you
only would require once such function for a given default behavior and
formatting taste it would be at least feasible to handle all of your
enumerations by one library function. Which would be a great win imo :-).

Sebastian