> if the wait is woken by the notify there is no way it doesn't
> observe the store.

Suppose you have
```
X=0, Y=0

T1:
X.store(1, relaxed);
Y.store(1, relaxed);

T2:
while Y.load(relaxed) != 1 {}
r = X.load(relaxed);
```

T1's Y.store is coherence ordered before the last Y.load in T2's loop. This does not mean r==1. If you run this on a real ARM CPU you can absolutely observe r==0.

Andy

On Tue, 19 Jul 2022, 07:43 Andrey Semashev via Std-Discussion, <std-discussion@lists.isocpp.org> wrote:
On 7/19/22 04:59, language.lawyer@gmail.com wrote:
> On 18/07/2022 23:29, Andrey Semashev via Std-Discussion wrote:

>>> I agree that the store happens-before notify_one() by sequencing, but I
>>> don't see how that helps by itself. What we need is for the store in
>>> thr1 to happen-before the load inside b.wait() in the main thread.
>>> Since these are in separate threads, sequencing alone cannot get us that
>>> relation.
>>
>> If the store is not observed by the load then wait blocks until
>> notify_one. Note that this load-test-and-block is atomic. Then the
>> notify_one will unblock the wait when it happens.
>>
>> If you're asking whether the standard guarantees that loads observe the
>> stores then this is guaranteed here:
>>
>> http://eel.is/c++draft/atomics.order#3
>
> How does this apply to notifications? They are not modifications of the
> atomic object.
> store is sequence before notify_one (in the non-main thread). Does it
> mean it is coherence-ordered before? No.

It means the store happens-before notify_one (in the non-main thread).

Coherence-ordered before is the relation between the store and the wait
in the two threads. It says that when the store is coherence-ordered
before the wait in the modification order of the atomic, the wait will
observe the effects of the store. And since the store happens-before the
notify, if the wait is woken by the notify there is no way it doesn't
observe the store.