Even the "simple" solution of adding a little data in the stack requires a breaking ABI change, which would be a big deal.   It's also a violation of the C++ principle "you don't pay for what you don't use." I could see a compiler extension providing this for only functions specifically tagged with some attribute, if it were considered useful enough. From there to the Standard would be a harder step.

But you can also get this behavior without extreme trouble just in the existing language. Define functions with that extra parameter, and use a callable class template object to wrap each with the wanted usage. A few preprocessor macros might help reduce the code for defining such a function.

-- Andrew Schepler

On Fri, Sep 3, 2021, 11:16 AM Rick C. Hodgin via Std-Discussion <std-discussion@lists.isocpp.org> wrote:
The 1) and 2) options outlined in the initial post (for referencing
the passed in counts in code and being able to make logic decisions
with that information, and for conditional compilation).

IMO though, and most importantly, it completes the set of features
related to default parameter assignments.

--
Rick C. Hodgin