Thanks for the reply.

I see now that it is the aggregate initialization part that causes troubles. The Clang error message had misled me. While it reported:

note: destructor of '' is implicitly deleted
      because variant field 'string_value' has a non-trivial destructor
        string string_value;

It is not exactly the case. If I do not use aggregate initialization, compilation can pass:

The next question is: Is it standard-conforming to write the code as I used? I see ICC rejects the code too. If I put ".string_value = …" in additional braces, ICC seems happy, Clang still fails, but MSVC now fails too. Overall, no win.

What is the most correct way to write what I intended? Or maybe constructors are the correct choice here? (Anyway, knowing the trouble is only caused by the aggregate initialization, I am not that bothered now.)

On Fri, 28 Aug 2020 at 23:39, Thiago Macieira via Std-Discussion <std-discussion@lists.isocpp.org> wrote:
What I hadn't realised and your example below shows is that you can use
aggregate initialisation for it. Named initialisers are optional.

--
Yongwei Wu