On Wed, Nov 6, 2019 at 4:31 PM Thiago Macieira via Std-Discussion <std-discussion@lists.isocpp.org> wrote:
On Wednesday, 6 November 2019 14:21:29 PST Brian Bi via Std-Discussion wrote:
> On March 13, 2018, I was told that the standard committee voted 5/17/5/4/0
> to make integer comparisons do the right thing, e.g., `-1 < 0U` will become
> true, whereas in C++17, it is false thanks to the "usual arithmetic
> conversions"

How about:
 -1 < 2147483648U

Is that true or false?

Please don't say "promote to 64-bit" because that immediately triggers asking
about
 -1 < UINT64_C(9223372036854775808)

The version of the story I heard is that if there's no type that can represent all values of both types being compared, then the comparison still has to yield the correct result, even though it might be "slow".

Note that I am not making a proposal here; I just want to know whether or not it's true that said proposal was already made and accepted.

Brian Bi