C++ Logo

std-discussion

Re: Accessing data members in constructors' function try bocks

From: Edward Catmur <ecatmur_at_[hidden]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2023 00:31:36 +0000
On Wed, 18 Jan 2023 at 18:53, Brian Bi <bbi5291_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 18, 2023 at 12:38 PM Edward Catmur via Std-Discussion <
> std-discussion_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 18 Jan 2023 at 17:18, Frank B. Brokken via Std-Discussion <
>> std-discussion_at_[hidden]> wrote:

>>> under
>>>
>>> Hi Edward,
>>>
>>> Thanks for the fast reply to my question.
>>>
>>> 11.9.5 [class.cdtor] states:
>>>
>>> ... For an object with a non-trivial destructor, referring to any
>>> non-static member or base class of the object after the destructor
>>> finishes execution results in undefined behavior.
>>>
>>> However, that's not the situation I'm encountering. In the example an
>>> exception is thrown from the constructor's body and so no destructor is
>>> called.
>>

>> Ah, true; the destructor of the class is only called in case of a
>> delegating constructor [except.ctor].
>>
>> So either the class is not "under construction or destruction" and
>> [basic.life]p6 applies (and is thus inconsistent with [except.ctor]), or
>> [class.cdtor] is incomplete, or possibly both. This might be a defect.
>>

> First of all, I'm sorry I didn't notice your first reply to this thread
> before I wrote my reply.
>
> Anyway, after having looked at [basic.life]/6, I don't see what the issue
> is. I think that [basic.life]/6 does not give license to do all the things
> that aren't specifically forbidden therein. If the class has a non-trivial
> constructor, then the restrictions in [class.cdtor]/1 apply in addition to
> the ones in [basic.life]/6.

Ah, you're right - I think I'm confused by reading "For an object under
construction or destruction, see [class.cdtor]. Otherwise..." but having
wording in [class.cdtor] (specifically, paragraph 1 thereof) apply also for
objects not under construction or destruction. My apologies.

Also, "Indirection through such a pointer is permitted but the resulting
lvalue may only be used in limited ways, as described below." gives a false
impression of being exhaustive when in fact, as you say, the restrictions
of [class.cdtor]/1 apply as well.

So if a class has a virtual base, and thus a non-trivial constructor,
[class.cdtor]/1 says we cannot refer to its members before construction
begins, [basic.life]/6 notwithstanding; if it has a trivial destructor,
however, we can refer to (but not access) those members after destruction
finishes. If instead we end its lifetime through storage reuse (which could
overwrite the vtable pointer, to put it crudely), [basic.life]/4 means we
cannot refer to those members; [basic.life]/6 (etc.) does not apply once
storage is reused. I think we're good here.

Going back to [except.handle]/10, this appears to complement
[class.cdtor]/1, implying that within a constructor (or destructor)
function-try-block, the class is still under construction (or destruction).
Is it problematic that [class.cdtor] 5 and 6 (typeid and dynamic_cast)
would appear to be allowed in such function-try-blocks? I suppose it's OK.