C++ Logo

std-discussion

Re: Schrödinger's UB

From: Lénárd Szolnoki <cpp_at_[hidden]>
Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2022 12:53:55 +0000
Hi,

On Sat, 03 Dec 2022 20:19:06 +0800
Jiang An via Std-Discussion <std-discussion_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> I guess this is addressed by P1494.

Interesting. The solution outlined there certainly addresses this
problem.

However, I think the "time-traveling UB" problem is slightly different.
There the program certainly heads toward an undefined operation,
regardless of input.

But I'm OK with solutions that addresses both problems, although I
expect some pushback on solving the time-traveling problem, if it
negatively affects the performance of conforming programs.

> > std::cout << "% Type " << j << " to not invoke UB" << std::endl;
>
> Presumably you should output `i` instead of `j` here.

Yes, my mistake.

Cheers,
Lénárd