C++ Logo

std-discussion

Re: Relational operators with using pointers.

From: Edward Catmur <ecatmur_at_[hidden]>
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2022 17:06:31 +0000
On Fri, 2 Dec 2022 at 16:48, Thiago Macieira via Std-Discussion <
std-discussion_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On Friday, 2 December 2022 01:31:31 PST Marcin Jaczewski via
> Std-Discussion
> wrote:
> > > Yes. If it helps, the difference has existed since standardization: the
> > > comparison is undefined in C89 and unspecified in C++98, so it might be
> > > tricky to discover the rationale.
> > >
> > > Perhaps you could ask SG22 whether they know the cause of the
> divergence,
> > > and whether they're interested in resolving it.
> > This could be required by segmented memory and Far Pointer in 16-bit
> > architectures.
>
> That only explains why they aren't defined. It doesn't explain why one is
> unspecified and the other UB.
>
> We can reason on the consequence: the C standard allows the implementation
> crash if you try to order two pointers from different arrays. If that
> freedom
> had to be reserved, it might be because some old architecture required
> some
> calculation that would result in a fault or trap if the two pointers
> weren't
> from the same array.
>
> I can't think of any such architecture. The closest I can come to is the
> 16-
> bit protected mode of the 80286, with __huge pointers: if the compiler
> generated a segment descriptor that wasn't valid then proceeded to load
> that
> into a segment register, it would crash. I don't know if this has ever
> existed, though: __huge pointers existed in 16-bit real mode and were gone
> in
> 32-bit protected mode, and it's a generation of programming I completely
> skipped. The more likely scenario is an overflow trap in the calculations,
> as
> opposed to a memory layout constraint.
>
> Either way, C++ said that while the compiler isn't required to produce a
> reliable result, it can't crash or go off the rails either. It must
> produce a
> comparison result and the code continues from there.

 That said, asan does have -fsanitize=pointer-compare (though it must be
explicitly enabled both at compile time and at runtime). Interesting that
said sanitizer is conformant to C but not to C++.

> Another could be freedom for compilers how they will layout stack
> > variables as you are not allowed to compare addresses of them.

I don't think undefined vs. unspecified makes much of a difference here;
the compiler could just always return false to every comparison between
pointers to automatic variables and you wouldn't be able to learn anything
about the layout.