C++ Logo

std-discussion

Variadic friends?

From: Giuseppe D'Angelo <giuseppe.dangelo_at_[hidden]>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2022 21:15:11 +0100
Hi,

I've recently stumbled upon a case where I wanted to use "variadic CRTP":

template <class Derived, class T>
class SBase
{
public:
   void foo(T t) { static_cast<Derived *>(this)->data.use(t); }
};

template <class ... X>
class S : public SBase<S<X...>, X>...
{
   Data data;
};

Something that I would've also liked to do was to have S befriend all of
its bases (as they need to access the private `data` member). It doesn't
sound however like it's possible *directly*: friend declarations are not
expansions loci for packs.

Is there any specific reason why variadic friends aren't a thing? (In
other words, is it a "remnant", like using before C++17; or is it a
deliberate choice?).

Thank you,

--
Giuseppe D'Angelo | giuseppe.dangelo_at_[hidden] | Senior Software Engineer
KDAB - The Qt, C++ and OpenGL Experts