C++ Logo

std-discussion

Re: Wording change about "base class type" in aliasing rules

From: Lénárd Szolnoki <cpp_at_[hidden]>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2021 20:19:21 +0100
Hi,

https://eel.is/c++draft/expr.ref#6.2.sentence-1

> If E2 is a non-static data member and the type of E1 is “cq1 vq1 X”, and the type of E2 is “cq2 vq2 T”, the expression designates the corresponding member subobject of the object designated by the first expression.

As E1 doesn't refer to an object of type similar to X (there is no object of type X), this feels not defined by this. I agree that this could be explicit.

This feels even more underspecified for accessing reference members.

https://eel.is/c++draft/expr.ref#6.sentence-1

Ok, so I know the type here, but what object does this refer to?

Cheers,
Lénárd