C++ Logo

std-discussion

Re: Wording change about "base class type" in aliasing rules

From: language.lawyer_at <language.lawyer_at_[hidden]>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2021 16:41:04 +0300
On 27/10/2021 16:24, Yongwei Wu wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Oct 2021 at 20:36, <language.lawyer_at_[hidden]> wrote:

>> standards.

>> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/56878519/what-happened-to-the-aggregate-or-union-type-that-includes-one-of-the-aforement

>>> Thanks for the info. But the issue is not completely resolved for me.
>>>
>>> Say:
>>>
>>> struct A { … };
>>> struct B : A { … };
>>> A* pA = new B{…};
>>>
>>> Is using pA->… to access the base-class fields undefined behaviour?
>>>
>>> Interpreting the rules literally, it seems to be the case … but that
>> seems
>>> very surprising to me.
>>
>> According to the current C++ model, access only happens to the object
>> denoted by a glvalue. Access to a subobject doesn't count as access to the
>> containing object.
>> And the evaluation of the object expression of a class member access
>> expression *itself* (i.e. ignoring what happens in its subexpressions) is
>> not considered access to the class object it denotes.
>>

> Let me understand it better by an example:
>
> struct A { uint32_t v1; uint32_t v2; };
> struct B { uint32_t v1; uint16_t v2; };
> A a;
> B* pB = reinterpret_cast<B*>(&a);
>
> Question: Is reading pB->v1 undefined behaviour?

It is, but not because of strict aliasing rules violation.
There is no explicit wording saying that this has undefined behavior. [expr.ref]/(6.1) could be read as that an object of type A doesn't have a member subobject corresponding to B::v1 and thus this bullet doesn't apply and the behavior is undefined by omission. Yes, this sounds weak. [expr.ref] should explicitly say something like that the type of the object expression, ignoring qualifiers, shall be the same as its dynamic type, otherwise the behavior is undefined.

> I believe it was the case in C++17. Does the new definition of "access" (in
> 3.1) imply that pB->v1 is no longer undefined?

I think the definition of "access" was the same in C++17.