C++ Logo

std-discussion

Re: On "transparently replaceable" in std::vector operations

From: Giuseppe D'Angelo <giuseppe.dangelo_at_[hidden]>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2021 16:46:48 +0200
Hi,

Il 30/04/21 16:16, Hyman Rosen via Std-Discussion ha scritto:
> This is where the conceptual error of the C++ object model shows. A
> pointer or reference points to memory, not to an object. The pointer
> type informs how that memory should be treated. If the memory remains
> allocated to the program, the pointer is valid. If the contents of the
> memory are valid for a type, the object of that type in that memory is
> valid.

I'm really not following this argument: what error? The current,
existing, unchanged, unabridged C++ memory/lifetime model says that
pointers behave like this (at least for operations we're discussing
about). I am NOT discussing how to extend the lifetime model to an
arbitrary setup.

Thanks,
--
Giuseppe D'Angelo | giuseppe.dangelo_at_[hidden] | Senior Software Engineer
KDAB - The Qt, C++ and OpenGL Experts