C++ Logo

std-discussion

Re: Thou shalt not... specify deducible template arguments?

From: Giuseppe D'Angelo <giuseppe.dangelo_at_[hidden]>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2020 14:00:17 +0100
Hello,

Il 29/10/20 14:26, Jason McKesson via Std-Discussion ha scritto:
> The fact that a function is a template is not an implementation
> detail, nor are its template parameters*regardless* of their
> deducibility.

A very courteous reader of this list (thank you!) pointed me at
[algorithms.requirements] § 15, which says:

> https://eel.is/c++draft/algorithms.requirements#15

> The number and order of deducible template parameters for algorithm declarations are unspecified, except where explicitly stated otherwise.
> [Note 3: Consequently, an implementation can reject calls that specify an explicit template argument list. — end note]

My initial "hunch" was therefore correct, but my examples quite wrong
(*). I somehow still think that this note could be applied to more
function templates than just the algorithms, though; users should call
functions and specify template arguments only if they must (e.g.
std::forward, std::make_unique, etc.), and not just because they can
(e.g. std::move).

(*) Correcting myself:

> std::sort<std::vector<int>::iterator>(v.begin(), v.end());

This is unspecified behaviour.

> std::min<double>(3.14, 1.23f);

This is instead always well defined because of [alg.min.max] § 4, which
allows it:

> https://eel.is/c++draft/algorithms#alg.min.max-4
> Remarks: An invocation may explicitly specify an argument for the template parameter T of the overloads in namespace std.

Thanks for reading,
--
Giuseppe D'Angelo | giuseppe.dangelo_at_[hidden] | Senior Software Engineer
KDAB - The Qt, C++ and OpenGL Experts