C++ Logo

std-discussion

Re: Anonymous unions with non-trivial member types

From: Thiago Macieira <thiago_at_[hidden]>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2020 08:38:24 -0700
On Friday, 28 August 2020 04:35:26 PDT Yongwei Wu via Std-Discussion wrote:
> I am aware I am using some C++20 features here. The key question is only
> about anonymous unions. Can they have non-trivial member types, as in the
> code? Is the compilation problem a regression bug in Clang?

There's nothing forbidding you from doing what you've done. Just note that the
anonymous union's default constructor will be deleted. And since it's
anonymous, you can't declare an explicit one.

What I hadn't realised and your example below shows is that you can use
aggregate initialisation for it. Named initialisers are optional.

Simple proof: https://gcc.godbolt.org/z/7z9een