C++ Logo

std-discussion

Re: std::variant - going from Alternative& to the enclosing variant&

From: Victor Khomenko <victor.khomenko_at_[hidden]>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2020 14:33:27 +0000
1. Visitors for parse trees / ASTs tend to have a few dozen alternatives, so having separate functions is necessary.

2. The visitors are re-used for different variants (e.g. you'd simplify the node and then it's children recursively). So one needs a mechanism to update the stored reference to a variant. This is error-prone - there are many recursive calls, and one may forget to update the stored variant and call a visitor on another variant, reaching an inconsistent state where the alternative does not correspond to the captured variant.

 3. Solution with a new visit-function that provides the variant itself as a parameter to the visitor seems acceptable - but looks more complicated than what I proposed?

Victor.