C++ Logo

std-discussion

Re: reading values as bytes without memcpu, from enum unsigned char?

From: language.lawyer_at <language.lawyer_at_[hidden]>
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2020 18:43:20 +0300
On 07/08/2020 18:16, Jason McKesson via Std-Discussion wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 7, 2020 at 10:06 AM <language.lawyer_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>>
>> On 07/08/2020 16:51, Jason McKesson via Std-Discussion wrote:
>>> The cast is legal. Accessing the `unsigned char` at that address is
>>> legal.
>>
>> You can't access `unsigned char` objects, `reinterpret_cast<unsigned char*>(buf)` points to the object of `mybyte` type.
>
> According to [basic.lval]/8.8, I can:
>
>> If a program attempts to access the stored value of an object through a glvalue of other than one of the
> following types the behavior is undefined:
>> a char, unsigned char, or std::byte type.
>
> So it doesn't matter what `T1` is; you can access that byte as an
> `unsigned char`. And indeed, if you could get a pointer to *any* byte
> within `T1`, you can access it as an `unsigned char`.
>
> It's getting a pointer to those bytes that is the problem.

That is what was meant by "you can't access `unsigned char` objects". You can't get a pointer to them.

>> But accessing an object of `mybyte` type through a glvalue of `unsigned char` type is indeed legal, because an enumeration with a fixed underlying type has the same values as the underlying type.
>
> Actually, that's not true. I mean, it is true that the value
> representations are the same, but that doesn't mean you can access
> them through different types. [basic.lval] has no special provisions
> for an enum and its underlying type.

I was speaking exactly about the case of `enum mybyte : unsigned char`.
If there were no rule explicitly saying
> For an enumeration whose underlying type is fixed, the values of the enumeration are the values of the underlying type.

accessing an object of `mybyte` type through an `unsigned char` glvalue would be UB because of [expr.pre]/4, even though [basic.lval] "allows" such access.

Your
> The cast is legal. Accessing the `unsigned char` at that address is legal. But without P1839, actually doing the pointer arithmetic needed to access more than one such byte is not.

sounds like that now, without P1839, there is some "access to one byte", which is not the case.