C++ Logo

std-discussion

Re: About the description of [basic.life]/6

From: Tadeus Prastowo <tadeus.prastowo_at_[hidden]>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2020 14:48:40 +0200
On Wed, Apr 15, 2020 at 6:50 PM yo mizu via Std-Discussion
<std-discussion_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 16, 2020 at 12:36 AM Tadeus Prastowo
> <tadeus.prastowo_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> > Sentence-X is futher elaborated in Sentence-Y where Sentence-Y
> > provides a forward reference, while the pointer defined in Sentence-X
> > is further elaborated in Sentence-A, -B, and -C where Sentence-A, -B,
> > and -C provide details and Sentence-C is the one that starts with "The
> > program has undefined behavior if:" and continues to [basic.life]6.1
> > up to 6.5.
>
> Thank you for explaining so politely and thoroughly.
> I pretty much got it!

My pleasure.

> Before the lifetime of an object has started but after the storage
> which the object will occupy has been allocated or, after the lifetime
> of an object has ended and before the storage which the object
> occupied is reused or released,
> (Condition-1)
>
> any pointer that represents the address of the storage location where
> the object will be or was located
> ("such a pointer")
>
> may be used but only in limited ways.
> (That means, "such a pointer" that meets "Condition-1" may be used in
> limited ways. It does not say anything specific.)
>
> For an object under construction or destruction,
> (Condition-2 (special case of Condition-1))

And, I think Condition-2 is the _only_ special case of Condition-1 as
of now. But, CMIIW.

> see [class.cdtor].
> (That means, "such a pointer" that meets "Condition-2" can be used as
> described in [class.cdtor]).
>
> Otherwise, such a pointer
>
> refers to allocated storage,
> (Condition-3)

That is, Condition-3 is satisfied when "such pointer" fails to satisfy
Condition-1.

> and using the pointer as if the pointer were of type void*, is well-defined.
> (That means, "such a pointer" that meets "Condition-3" and does not
> meet "Condition-2" can be used as if the pointer were of type void*.)

Not Condition-2 but Condition-1 because Condition-2 is only a forward
reference to another part of the standard.

> Indirection through such a pointer is permitted but the resulting
> lvalue may only be used in limited ways, as described below.

That sentence's "as described below" refers to [basic.life]/7, not the
following sentence.

> The program has undefined behavior if:
> (That means, "such a pointer" can be used as ...)

No, that means that, if a standard behavior is expected, "such a
pointer" _cannot_ be used as ...

> Is it correct?

More or less as per my comments.

--