C++ Logo

std-discussion

What happened to N3980 ("Types Don't Know #")?

From: Deniz Bahadir <deniz.bahadir_at_[hidden]>
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2020 10:13:28 +0100
Hi everyone,

I lately came across N3980 which proposes a different approach for
hashing types using a `hash_append` template that allows to change the
used hash-algorithm without changing the implementation of each
individual type that should be hashed.
That proposal also mentioned (and originally proposed) `std::endian`,
which obviously was later proposed separately via P0463 and will be in
C++20.

But I am curious in the `hash_append` part.

However, I was unable to find any further information about it.
- Was it ever reviewed at any committee meeting?
- If so what was the conclusion?
- And is this still worked on (or on any other proposal which simplifies
hashing of types in C++)?

Thanks for your insights.

Best regards,
Deniz Bahadir