C++ Logo

std-discussion

Re: Noexcept specification of basic_string's move assignment operator in C++11 and C++14

From: Daniel Krügler <daniel.kruegler_at_[hidden]>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2020 13:20:26 +0100
Am Fr., 21. Feb. 2020 um 12:53 Uhr schrieb Giuseppe D'Angelo via
Std-Discussion <std-discussion_at_[hidden]>:

> Il 21/02/20 11:25, Daniel Krügler via Std-Discussion ha scritto:
> >> OK. Can we say it was*against* C++11 but then it was only resolved for
> >> C++17?
> > Yes. AFAIK, there exists no defined process for the standard that
> > applies fixes made in a later standard to previous standards.
> >

> However, in general, aren't defect resolutions supposed to be applied
> retroactively? Sure, are no means to republishing an already-issued
> Standard including the resolutions; but implementations are supposed to
> pick them up.

I'm not objecting to this interpretation (I already pointed that out),
I was merely referring to the standard process itself, which is silent
regarding such retroactive applications. As I said, an implementation
may consider applying bug fixes retroactively. But in this situation
we cannot argue anything regarding compliance.

- Daniel