Re: [SG7] P2320: "The Syntax of Static Reflection" feedback request

From: David Rector <davrec_at_[hidden]>
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2021 18:13:12 -0500
> On Feb 21, 2021, at 4:14 PM, Ville Voutilainen <ville.voutilainen_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
> On Sun, 21 Feb 2021 at 22:54, David Rector <davrec_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> Well said. Some leisurely thoughts expanding on this:
>>
>> Note too that such a metafunction, properly implemented, would indeed make that design pattern /obsolete/ — all the user need do is #include the right header and they can type `a + b + …` to their heart’s content, blissfully ignorant of the meaning of a "Mediator" and an "Observer" and all the expertise and manual labor the previous generation needed to code such things.
>>
>> Indeed, I would argue is that reflection + injection, properly implemented, might well be able to make *every* design pattern obsolete — if it qualifies as a "pattern" in any sense, that means it is some call to a metafunction, and the only question is whether the programmers themselves must serve as that "metafunction", or if they are allowed to just write that metafunction explicitly and grab a beer.
>
> Well, yeah. Design patterns *are* obsolete in some more powerful
> languages; instead of being recipes for implementing
> patterns in various ways with various trade-offs, they're just code
> where those trade-offs are customizations points of the algorithm. :)
>
> As a side note, some of us do this already, to the extent the language
> limitations allow it. We had a particular policy in
> multiple places I worked in, which was "never (try to) make your type
> a Singleton, use ourcompany::Singleton<YourType>.
> Also, please leave it up to the application programmer to decide how
> many of YourTypes should exist in their program, and
> please never make that decision for them." Various other oft-mentioned
> patterns are feasible to implement with such
> a common library type/wrapper, but reflection+injection opens quite
> some doors towards that ability. Like Proxies
> and Mediators and Template Methods and Bridges etc.
>
>> I would thus argue the best source for generating examples is thus any design pattern textbook: try to write each one as a metafunction, and thus render knowledge of it obsolete altogether.
>
> It's certainly one source. The best, I don't know - things like
> serialization and persistence are oft-mentioned examples
> of problems where reflection/injection is a big help, but they aren't
> necessarily well-represented in pattern books.

Those sound great. Why not try writing one, using the new syntax?

I think more of us be following Roland’s example, trying to actually implement these things, and presenting the results to the list. It’s a bit strange to be considering syntax changes without seeing it in action in large, real-world test cases.

And as Roland found, trying to implement these real world cases often leads us to places the proposals have overlooked, thus identifying deeper issues.

And beyond that, exchanging code instead of words would be a good way to lower the temperature in here and keep things in focus.

But Roland can’t be the only one.

I think I’ve said my peace and presented a useful test case of my own so I’ll bow out here and leave space for others, thanks all,

Dave