Re: [SG7] sg7 varid proposal

From: Dominic Jones <dominic.jones_at_[hidden]>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2020 23:03:11 +0000
Thank you for your comments.

Regarding the first: my use case is compile-time automatic differentiation
(AD). I gave a talk <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31mQmUryw50&t=3504s> on
the approach at a London C++ meetup, and at a Euro AD workshop [slides
<http://www.autodiff.org/Docs/euroad/22nd%20EuroAd%20Workshop%20-%20Dominic%20Jones%20-%20Compile%20time%20differentiation%20in%20C++.pdf>
].

The gist of it is that I want to be able to evaluate an expression from its
root to its terminals. This is the opposite of what one normally wishes to
do, but it just is the nature of the so-called 'adjoint' method of
automatic differentiation. Doing this naively, one ends up performing
duplicate evaluations when a term is used repeatedly.

Consider the code corresponding to Figure 1 (I now realise I should have
included the code snippet in the paper!): the term 'ab' occurs twice in the
expression for 'result'. In typical expression evaluation, 'ab' is
evaluated once then its result used in many places. However, in
back-propagation evaluations (like those found in adjoint automatic
differentiation), evaluation begins at 'result' and propagates to the
terminals 'a' and 'b'. The problem is that the back-propagation will visit
the sub-expression tree for 'ab' twice since it occurs twice upstream.

float c0;
float c1;
auto ab = a * b;
auto result = (c0 + ab) / (c1 + ab);

Regarding the second point: I came across Andrew Sutton's paper, P2237R0,
after submitting my own. Whilst skimming it I saw something that may be
doing what I am proposing, namely 'meta::location_of(e)', p15 ff. Are the
reflection mechanisms you are referring to those mentioned by Andrew in his
paper or are you referring to another language proposal? If it is another,
I'd be grateful if I could get a link to the paper.

I agree that if there are not sufficiently broad use case examples for my
proposal then it does not warrant further consideration; amassing a broad
range of use cases is something I still need to work on. (Klaus Iglberger,
I believe, has a use case for his math library 'Blaze' which I need to ask
him for.) However, presently, I don't know how the same end could be
achieved without a top level API function. Early on, I thought it could be
by proposing a language extension whereby `address of' in a constexpr
context would return a constexpr variable ID, much like what varid would
do. However, even with this, a second language change would need to be
made, one whereby a constexpr function could return a constexpr result
despite taking non-constexpr arguments (i.e. resolving the compilation
error presented in Listing 3).

wouldn't do; it would be minimally useful, facilitating expression
transformations for only trivial expressions, such as 'c0*c1' or 'c0*c0',
but nothing more complicated than that.

Regards,
Dominic