Re: [SG7] SG7 Digest, Vol 11, Issue 2

From: Andrew Sutton <asutton.list_at_[hidden]>
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2020 13:39:41 -0500

>> This is a good point to consider on its own. While I agree with the
>> mental model that injection should result in "pasting" the contents into
>> the enclosing context, given the different late-parsing behavior you
>> describe, a user would get the following behavior, which probably won’t
>> quite seem like pasting:
>>
>> <https://cppx.godbolt.org/z/rd6KT6>

Code in question:

using namespace std::experimental;

struct A1 {
struct B {};
B b = D(); //works
B getB() { return D(); } //works
struct D : B {};
};

struct A2 {
struct B {};
consteval {
-> fragment struct {
B b = D(); //error
B getB() { return D(); } //error
};
}
struct D : B {};
};

Perhaps a better way to put it is that model is that an executing
>> metaprogram is just like *parsing* the contained declarations into the
>> enclosed context, after resolving any dependencies. Parsing into a class
>> does two things: 1. adds the essential content of the declarations
>> immediately, and 2. defers parsing of the non-essentials until the closing
>> brace of the outermost enclosing class. Evaluation of a metaprogram should
>> probably result in both distinct effects as well.

Circling back on this with fresh eyes... those errors are right. Injection
*does* work that way. Things that would be deferred in a normal parse a
deferred for injection also.

But these are errors because metaprograms are not parsed in the complete
class context of A2 -- it's not deferred. Also, the class context of the
fragment is different than that of A2/ It's more like a local class in an
inline member function (at least I hope that's the right analogy).